Friday, September 29, 2006

A Month in Review

Wow, I can't even believe summer has past, fall is upon us, and October is just around the corner. This past month was kind of a blur, it just went so fast! This week it has been so beautiful in Spokane. It has been in the upper 70s/low 80s with clear blue skies. The trees are just starting to turn. In fact, on my way to work, there is a very large tree with brilliant gold leaves. It is always one of the first trees to turn and every year I look forward to seeing its beautiful color.

So here's just a few notes from this past month:

The girls are doing great. Elizabeth really loves her preschool. In fact, she's sad to leave there every day. She's truly in her element with all the little kids. She's such a social butterfly, saying "hi" or "bye" to everyone she sees. And Katherine (our smiley girl) is loving her solid foods now. Today, to her amazement, she learned how to blow bubbles with her food, so needless to say, I was covered in baby food by the time I was done. The girls love to tease each other and just laugh. You can tell already how they'll be best friends.

We did have a month where someone in the house was always sick. Elizabeth was sick on and off for about two weeks. She'd just be getting over it and her fever & runny nose would come back. Katherine and I had a touch of a cold, but now Kurt has the worst of it. He even had laryngitis this week when he had a lot of meetings & presentations for work. Poor guy! So here's to next month being a healthy one!

I had a very busy month for work. We had the chance to fly over to Wenatchee and inspect a large bridge over the Columbia River. It is an old steel truss that currently carries a pedestrian trail over the river. They want to drive vehicles over the bridge, so our firm (well, lucky me) had to run the calculations. I was reviewing the plans and noticed the date was 9/28/06. Then I realized that means 1906 - it was built exactly 100 years ago! So for the past two weeks I've been cranking out an in-depth computer analysis, only to come up with a similar design that some guy did by hand and a slide rule over one hundred years ago. So my hats off to engineers in those days!

Last weekend Kurt's dad came into town. We had a nice visit. Friday night we went to the Valleyfest parade. I must say it didn't make my Top 10 parades list - just picture mostly random people walking down the street with a few floats every so often! The best part though was just watching the girls get so excited with the sights and sounds of it all. Saturday I ran a 5K run with my sister Emily. We both ran it in 28:49 which I thought was great since I hadn't actually run in about a month! Saturday afternoon we headed over to Liberty Lake county park which has a playground, walking trails, and a beach.

Well, maybe that catches you up a little bit about what we've been doing. I'm hoping next month isn't so crazy. But life is fun and it makes for never a dull moment!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

This month did go by fast. You guys are busy, but you seem to have a lot of fun during all the busy-ness. I wish I could see Elizabeth interacting with all her preschool friends. It is probably so cute!

Anonymous said...

I can tell you have had a busy month! Your description of the girls tweeked my heart.

I loved the facts about the 100-year-old bridge. I used a slide rule in my college math class and learned to appreciate anyone who could use it well.

Topher said...

Momma K - mentioning you used an instrument in college that is probably now found in history museums may date you..intentionally or unintentionally. :)